Sunday, June 1, 2014

Uuuuuuuugh/San Andreas Fault Line

You'd think after all this everything would finally work out, right? Apparently not. It turns out I got on the wrong plane, which I only realized after we had reached 30,000 feet. Now I'm sitting in the airport in Santa Maria, California. Not exactly where I planned on being, but there is a bright side- I'm just a car ride away from the San Andreas fault line, a transform boundary that formed a huge crack in the earth:


Transform boundaries occur when two plates slide in opposite directions, creating a rift in the earth like the one above. Transform boundaries don't have dramatic effects like earthquakes and volcanos, but one interesting fact is that because of the San Andreas boundary, in around ten million years, LA will have slowly moved right next to San Francisco! 

Now I'm on yet another plane to go to LA in order to transfer to Hawaii. It's about 10:00 here, and I'm in for a long night, so I'm going to try to fall asleep. Try being the keyword there. I'll update later, when I'll hopefully be drinking pina coladas by the pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment